Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Daily Grind

Gen.40:1-4 ~ "Then it came about after these things" (in Gen.39)"the cupbearer and the baker for the king of Egypt offended their lord, the king of Egypt. 2 And Pharaoh was furious with his two officials, the chief cupbearer and the chief baker. 3 So he put them in confinement in the house of the captain of the bodyguard, in the jail, the same place where Joseph was imprisoned. 4 And the captain of the bodyguard put Joseph in charge of them, and he took care of them; and they were in confinement for some time."
    It amazes me how God orchestrates things! Joseph is in prison, far removed from his family and dreams, doing what God would have him to do in prison to glorify God. And God has Pharaoh send two of his servants to prison- to the very place Joseph was! And because of the way Joseph lived in prison, his attitude, his service, these two servants were put under Joseph's care. Had Joseph not lived for God's glory, even in prison, this opportunity would not have come his way.
     Sometimes we forget how much our simple everyday living affects us, and others as well. So often, we do not see the small every day things as important and often it is just in doing those things to God's glory that brings us to the next step. What is it that is hard for you to do for the glory of God? Or that you forget to do for His glory? God has challenged me so much in my home. Are my dishes being done for God's glory? Is  my attitude to do them to please Him? If I go through my housework or home making I will find myself challenged to yield an area or task so that I do it for God's glory. Often it is one I struggle with doing the most, the hardest for me. And as I begin to do it with a right attitude, doing it for God's glory, it becomes sacred, a privilege, an honor. It is no longer a struggle. Is there an area that God is speaking to you about, in work, in your vehicle, at home, that needs to be done for His glory?
  Having these prisoners was not a huge change for Joseph, he was still doing his job, for God, with the strength God provided. But it would be how he would eventually be out of prison, and have the dreams God had given him fulfilled. God uses the small stuff in our daily life to accomplish the great.
O Lord, may we do all, especially the small things, the daily things, for Your glory. May we not underestimate how important the small things are.

No comments:

Post a Comment